Menopause is a natural decline/reduction of reproduction of hormones that typically occurs in women in their late 40’s and 50’s. Menopause is usually foretold by 12-16 months without menstruation. Other symptoms of menopause include vaginal dryness, hot flashes, possible insomnia, general discomfort, and in more extreme cases this could lead to feelings of depression and anxiety. Menopause cannot be prevented or avoided as it is a natural process that occurs in the female body however, there are steps that you can take to ease the transition and help your body during postmenopause which is the stage after menopause.
Postmenopausal health support is an important discourse that more women need to be aware of. Postmenopausal health support outlines things women can do to preserve and improve their health once they hit menopause.
Here are five things women need for postmenopausal health support.
- Medication/Hormone Therapy – Medication or hormone therapy are vital because menopause marks a reduction in estrogen. This is important because a lower level of estrogen is linked to diseases like osteoporosis and heart diseases. To combat this you can consume foods that are high in estrogen or opt for healthier foods that will reduce the risk of heart diseases. Medication can also be very helpful. Essential supplements like NHC’s Everyday Essentials Women’s Advanced by NutriDyn. This helps to improve overall mood, eye, bone, and heart health as well as promoting healthy immune function.
- Nutrition – After menopause, a few changes may need to be made. One of those changes occurs in nutrition and the type of food consumed. Postmenopausal women need 1,200 mg of calcium daily and some more Vitamin D. It is important to contact your doctor as well as too much Vitamin D could lead to health complications. A postmenopausal diet is also advised. This diet should be heavily whole foods based or if possible, plant-based. This is much better for your body and will reduce the chances of heart disease.
- Exercise – Aerobics, biking, and swimming are three exercise programs that are extremely beneficial for bone mass, back pain, and stronger muscles. Exercise will also help to prevent the weight gain that occurs as a result of the decline of estrogen production in the body. Exercise is also beneficial because it releases endorphins that can help alleviate stress. Experts also recommend moderate weight training for an increase in bone mass.
- Smoking and Excessive Alcohol Consumption – Smoking is highly discouraged in any setting but especially after menopause because smoking and the consumption of alcohol tend to intensify the postmenopausal symptoms. Some women continue to feel hot flashes even after menopause and the consumption of these items does not help. These are also detrimental to one’s health.
- Stress – Activities like walking, jogging, and yoga are recommended for postmenopausal women to help them alleviate or reduce stress. Stress and the feelings of stress must be avoided for optimal postmenopausal health. Stress can be detrimental to one’s health and is linked to heart diseases. This is especially dangerous for women in postmenopause due to the already lower levels of estrogen.