Bleaching your hair is a great way to change your appearance. It’s also a great way to experiment with colors. However, a trip to the salon for a hair dye appointment can often cost hundreds of dollars. This can be quite costly for most. In this article, we’ll outline the preparatory steps you need to take and provide you with the list of products needed.
Before you begin, it is important to note that the darker your hair is, the harder it’ll be to bleach, especially to lighter colors. Therefore, if you have black hair and want to bleach your hair pink, it will take several tries that have to be spaced apart to reduce hair damage. If you have lighter hair or are aiming for a darker color, keep reading.
How to Bleach Hair at Home Safely
Here are the preparatory steps:
- Ensure your hair is in good condition. If your hair is already damaged, bleaching can lead to hair loss.
- If you use perming or straightening products, do not use them for a few months before the bleaching process. This is to reduce the chances of hair damage.
- Ensure your hair is well conditioned and moisturized. You can begin deep conditioning and moisturizing your hair a few months before bleaching.
- Use a hair mask the night before you bleach your hair. If you don’t have a hair mask, lather it with coconut oil and put it under a plastic cap.
You will need a few products. They are:
- Bleach Powder – The bleach powder is an essential part of your bleaching process. This is the product that will bleach your hair. Herbatint offers great application kits for hair bleaching. They are safe and organic. You can find them here.
- Developer – The developer will be mixed with the bleaching powder. Without a developer, the bleaching powder will be ineffective. There are four levels of developers. They are level 10, level 20, level 30, and level 40. Level 10 should be used for very light-colored hair, and level 40 is used for darker hair colors.
- Toner – Toner is one of the last steps; however it is extremely important. If you’re dying your hair a light color you should purchase a toner, so it doesn’t look brassy and unnatural. Toner is essential when you’re dyeing your hair bright orange, blonde, pink, lavender, etc.
- Towel and Old Clothes – You’ll need old clothes and an old towel you don’t use anymore. It is important to know that these clothes will get stained and you cannot wash the bleach off.
- Shower Cap or a Plastic Bag – You will need this after applying the dye.
- Mixing Bowl – This can be a glass or plastic bowl. This is where you will mix the dye.
- Latex Gloves – To be safe, it’s important to use gloves while applying dye to your hair.
- Foil – This will be used to separate and wrap the bleached areas of your hair. This is especially necessary if you’re not bleaching all of your hair.
- Tinting Brush – A tinting brush is a brush used to apply the dye onto your hair. Sometimes it comes with ch powder.
- Clips – This is used to clip back sections of your hair so you can apply the dye in stages.
- Balancing Shampoo and Protein Balancing Conditioner – These are important to keep your hair healthy after the bleaching process.