Welcome to the Crossroads Chat! Are you ready to talk about the second book in the Southern Arcana series? Grab a cuppa’ whatever makes you happy and let’s get to it!
Since this is a book discussion, please assume that there will be spoilers.
Derek Gabriel: Derek is a newly turned wolf-shifter. He was attacked by a rogue werewolf two years ago and his life was changed forever. He has spent the last two years adjusting to his change and getting control of his newly acquired instincts. He’s always been attracted to Nick Peyton but after his change, even more so. Much to her dismay, Derek avoids getting romantically involved with Nick, because his feelings for her are so strong and he is not sure he is in full control of his instincts yet.
Nicole (Nick) Peyton: Nicole Peyton is a werewolf and the eldest daughter of the pack alpha. She is the reluctant heir to her father’s position in the Conclave, the governing body for the shape-shifter society. Nick is independent and has made her own way in life. She prefers her simple life as a bar owner in New Orleans where she has a close knit circle of supernatural friends. She’s been carrying a torch for Derek since before his change and she is ready to take their friendship to the next level.
The Conflict: Michelle is Nick’s twin sister. She is a very powerful seer and lives under very restrictive rules set by the Conclave because of her powerful magic. Michelle and her bodyguard/lover Aaron have arrived in New Orleans seeking Nick’s help because they are in big trouble with the Conclave. There is a death warrant on Aaron’s head for violating pack law by becoming romantically involved with Michelle and getting her pregnant. Michelle fears for Aaron and is afraid the Conclave will take her baby. As they rally to protect Michelle from the acquainted laws and the power hungry society that enforces them, Nick and Derek must decide just how far they will go to protect the ones they love and just how much they are willing to sacrifice.
Thoughts: We get a good look into Southern Arcana politics in Crossroads. We see a world steeped in traditions that have become outdated to the point where the rules and laws may actually harm those they were originally meant to protect. Although there are indications that change is imminent, I liked that the problems within the shifter government are not resolved and tied up in a tidy bow. It will be a long road to governmental reform.
I loved the theme of love, loyalty and self sacrifice in this story. Derek and Nick both make some very hard choices and always in the interest of protecting those they love. I think both characters were incredibly emotionally strong and after my re-read, they remain my favorite couple in the series. This book stayed with me for a long time after I read it the first time, and had the very same effect the second time around. This is one of my favorite romances.
Time to discuss: Below are some discussion questions to use a guide, but please feel free to discuss any aspect of this book. What did you like? What didn’t work for you? Anything having to do with Crossroads is open for discussion.
1. At two books into the series, who is your favorite character? Has it changed from when you read Crux?
2. For those that are re-reading the series, have your impressions and feelings about the characters and relationships changed at all the second time around? If so, how?
3. We delve more deeply into shifter politics in Crossroads. What are your thoughts about the world and how it’s developing so far?
4. Nick and Derek come together as a couple early on in the story and realize that they are destined to be together. Was there enough romantic tension between them to keep their relationship engaging throughout the book? Do you like that they got together early on?
5. How did you feel about Aaron’s ultimate fate? Did you expect what happened or did it catch you by surprise?
6. What do you think of Michelle and how her character is being portrayed so far? Do you feel she is a strong character or weaker and in need of protection?
7. Sexy, surly Alec has a cage in his basement. Discuss.
8. What story developments and future romances are you most looking forward to in future books in the series?
Each person who participates in the discussion will be entered to win a refurbished Kindle! The giveaway will be open through August 20th.
Please note: This giveaway is open internationally – international winners will have the option of a $115 gift certificate, rather than the Kindle prize. This can be determined after the winner is chosen.