10. CURRAN IS A BAD-ASS IN SO MANY WAYS- Ok, we know he is top cat because he is the Alpha of the pack. He took control of thousands of shifters and keeps control. But in each book he shows us little pieces of that badass-ness. He shows us why everyone should be afraid of him. Its kind of hot.
Curran’s eyes went gold. His voice dropped into a rough growl. “If you’re going to shoot, make sure to empty the clip, because after you’re done, I’ll shove that gun up your ass sideways.”
Blue Jacket blinked. “Can you even do that?” I asked.
“Let’s find out.” Curran stared at the thug. “Well? Shoot, so we can start this experiment.”
“Did you strangle the wolf alpha?” Not that she didn’t deserve it.
Curran grimaced. “Of course not. I needed information. After I put her face in my mouth, we agreed that it was in her best interests to tell me what I wanted to know.”
9. KATE- We might have started with Curran, but Kate is no slouch. She keeps this series together and is possibly the best urban fantasy heroine around.
I thrust my bloody hand into the ward. It shuddered like a living thing caught in convulsions and solidified into a translucent wall of red. The people behind me screamed. The wall cracked and shattered into chunks. The pieces of the ward rained down, melting into thin air.
It didn’t hurt. It didn’t hurt at all.
8. IT’S DAMNED FUNNY! – This series has a deadpanned humor to it that even when you think everything is going wrong you find yourself laughing out loud.
“What the hell is this?” Desandra asked.
“This is Cuddles. She’s a mammoth donkey.”
Derek grinned. “Do you have any self-respect left?”
“Your sword is made out of your grandmother’s bones?”
“Okay, I see how it sounds weird when you say it in that tone of voice…”
7. BEST SECONDARY CHARACTERS EVER, NO QUESTION- Each book in the series seems to introduce readers to new secondary characters or gives us more information on ones we have already known about. For Magic Breaks the most prominent secondary characters were Robert Lenesco (Rat Alphas), Desandra, Derek and Ascanio. They were all-stars.
“Where are we going?” Desandra asked.
“We’re going to Blue Ribbon Stables,” I said. “It’s the closest place to rend a horse.
“Why?” Desandra asked.
“Because I can’t keep up with you on foot,” I said.
“And she runs like a rhino.” Derek added. “You can hear her a mile away.”
Traitor. “I thought you had my back?”
“I do,” Derek said. “The rhino running is nice. Makes it easy to keep track of you. If I ever lose you, I just have to listen and there you are.”
“Yes,” Desandra agreed. “It’s convenient.”
“Are you always this casual?” Robert asked.
“Derek and I worked together for a long time,” I told him. “He’s allowed some leeway.”
“What about Desandra?”
“She only bothers with protocol when she wants something. The rest of the time it’s lewd jokes and descriptions of plums.”
Robert’s eye crept up. “Plums?”
I waved my hand. “Don’t ask.”
6. NEED ANOTHER EXAMPLE? Here’s some Ascanio and Derek goodness.
“Sit your ass down, Don Juanabe,” Derek said.
“Don Juanabe?” Ascanio pulled out his swords.
“”Don Juan Wannabe,” Derek explained. “See, I shortened it. If you still don’t get it, I’ll write it down for you after the fight.”
“You’ve maxed out your wit quota for the night,” Ascanio said. “I’m just getting started.”
“Be careful, you might sprain something in your brain.”
“Quiet,” I growled.
5. SUCH LOYALTY! The characters you’ve come to depend on to have Kate’s back never let her or readers down.
Jim paused. “Don’t get yourself killed and don’t make me come and rescue your ass.”
“Thanks, Mom. I love you, too.” Jim growled under his breath and went to the Jeep.
“Jim!” I called, too loud. He turned. I waited a second to make sure I had everyone’s attention. “If I’m not back by tomorrow and the Beast Lord is still gone, you have my blessing.”
Jim blinked. His mouth opened. “Understood, Alpha.”
4. EVEN THE BAD GUYS ARE LIKABLE- Readers of this series are having a hard time disliking people we know are the bad guys. Hugh and now Roland play huge roles in Magic Breaks. Hugh does some pretty dastardly things and even after reading the book, we wonder how people will feel about him. We think there will be confusion. And Roland won’t be discussed here because he screams SPOILER. 😉
Hugh leaned forward, looked at me, and said in a quiet conversational tone, “Do you ever just get bored at these things and want to punch someone?”
“Punch any of mine, and I’ll break your arm off and beat you to death with it.”
“Kate.” Ghastek’s voice vibrated with warning. “I don’t think you quite grasp the situation.”
Hugh grinned. “That’s my girl.”
Ghastek blinked. Jim bared all his teeth in a feral snarl.
3. FROM PAGE 1 TO 300 SOMETHING…. IT NEVER STOPS- This book won’t give you a chance to breathe, it won’t let up and it will provide amazing action and hijinks. The arc is moved forward at an amazing pace and the reader will be yelling SLOW DOWN! We guess that most people will sit down to read and then find themselves turning the final page wondering what happened to half their day.
We looked at the fire. “This is one hell of a date.” I said.
“Trapped by a horde of vampires in the middle of a snow-covered field, huddling around a tiny fire on thin blankets,” Curran said. “Drink it in, baby. All this luxury just for you.”
2. THE ENDING! This is the way you end a story arc. No spoilers, but we think readers will be blown away by what happens in the last few chapters and excited to see what it will mean for the last few books in the series.
“You can do this, baby,” Curran said quietly, his gaze fixed on Roland. “Go in, get them, kill anything that gets in the way. You are coming out alive. I promise you that.”
1. KATE AND CURRAN, TOGETHER- We think the thing that makes us love this urban fantasy above all others is Kate and Curran’s relationship. Each of them brings something different to the party, but they have each other’s backs, under any and all circumstances. The last two chapters of Magic Breaks will bring enormous changes to this series, but they were absolutely perfect. So perfect.
“We go together,” he said.
“I don’t tell you what battles to fight. Don’t tell me when to fight mine.”
“Curran, there is no turning back after this….”
He shook his head. “I love you. We go together.”
“No,” he said. “Not up for discussion.”
Oh, you stupid idiot. “You’re crazy, you know that?”
“Yes. But I’m a demon in the sack.”
I laughed. “Okay then. That fixes everything.”
“That’s right, it does.”
Angela- So that’s our top ten. Jen and I wanted to write a review that would express our love for not only Magic Breaks, but the series as a whole. Without giving away any spoilers. Wow, that was hard. We had seven million quotes highlighted, but didn’t want to give away too much. We wanted to give readers a hint of how awesome this book was without ruining their reading experience. Magic Breaks will most definitely be on my top ten list for this year. I was on an adrenaline high from page one right up until I read the last word. Ilona Andrews and the Kate Daniels series never, ever let me down. If you’re not reading this series you need to move it up your TBR list. Final Grade- A+
Jen- I am going be honest and say that Magic Rises, book six, gave me heartburn. I have read it three times now and I knew that Magic Breaks was going to be a big one. Well, it was huge. So many things happened and to keep a series this fresh and exciting at book seven is pretty impressive. We are looking forward to book eight just as much, if not more, than we were this one. Final grade- A+