Fiction Vixen is pleased to welcome Jessica Scott author of the Coming Home series.
Top 10 Things About Military Heroes
Thanks so much for having me here today at the Fiction Vixen! When Sophia and I were chatting about topics, she mentioned I should do a top 10 reasons military men make us swoon.
Now, keeping in mind that the average soldier is a 20 year old kid with pimples, here goes!
10. Damn fine shape. Military men are by definition active and that activeness leads to fine specimens of physical shape. Including washboard abs and great shoulders.
9. Dog tags. There is something about a man’s chest where dog tags hit right below the heart. Mmm sexy.
8. Uniform pants. They ride low, they have buttons for easy access and isn’t there just something about a man’s butt in a uniform?
7. Grooming standards. I am a product of the 80s and there are several 80s hair band front men who set the standard for me of male beauty. Fast forward *cough* twenty something years and I am all about a high and tight. A clean shaven man? Oh yes please.
6. Shoulders. Okay can we talk about what carrying around 70 pounds of body armor does to a man? Am I the only one who thinks a man in fully body armor is sexy as all get out?
5. Honor. The unseen values, the things that speak to a man’s character. These are more sexy to me than any physical attributes out there because they’re about the quality of a guy.
4. Hands. I love a man who works with his hands. Give me a soldier whose hands are roughened from time in the desert any day of the week.
3. Humor. Soldiers have the ability to laugh at the darkest hour and being able to literally laugh when the poo and the fan are doing the horizontal mambo? Yeah, that’s sexy. And reassuring, too.
2. Rough Riders. Military men are not all Navy SEALS or Special Forces guys but they know how to handle a rough mission. There’s something about the roughness of these men that is infinitely appealing.
1. Goodness. I guess all the sexual appeal in the world doesn’t matter if at the heart of it, they’re not a good man. Going to war asks good men to do bad things and those of us who love military men love them despite the bad things they’ve been through.
So that’s my take on why military men are sexy! Below is an excerpt from my latest book UNTIL THERE WAS YOU where Claire first sees Evan…
“Speak of the devil.” Reza turned and pointed his beer at someone behind Claire. She twisted on the edge of the wall that circled the dance floor, prepared to meet someone starched and rigid. “Evan Loehr, Claire Montoya. You two mingle. I’m getting another beer.”
She was going to kill Reza. He was forever trying to get her to hook up the way he did: with all the discretion of a dog in heat. She stared daggers into his back as he walked off. He never quite understood why she wasn’t into dating. Her track record with men sucked, and she was not about to add to that losing streak tonight. She was getting ready to deploy with the brigade in less than two months. She didn’t need a one-night stand with one of the company commanders to complicate things.
Not that he didn’t look like the perfect candidate for a one-night dance with the devil. If she did that sort of thing. Which she didn’t. But still, this man didn’t look remotely the way she’d expected he would. His shoulders were wide and solid, and beneath that starched white shirt, his chest looked powerful. She could easily imagine those arms wrapped around her, holding her tight while he . . . Down, girl. She might not have moved from her spot on the low wall surrounding the dance floor, but her hormones had snapped to attention, that was for sure.
The way Reza had described him made her imagine a man who would show up in military uniform despite the Texas casual dress code.
He seemed out of place in this smoky, seedy bar. This guy seemed stiff and rigid, as if he’d rather be anywhere but here at this moment. The top button of his shirt exposed the strong line of his throat, revealing dark hair and a glimpse of smooth skin and carved shadows. Beneath the First Cav Stetson, his hair was black and cut close to the strong line of his neck. There was confidence in the way he moved, a raw power that wrapped around Claire like the smoke in the bar and drew her close.
Claire stuck out her hand, needing something to distract her from her deviant thoughts. Small talk ought to do the trick.
UNTIL THERE WAS YOU
He plays by the rules, she’s not afraid to break them. Now these two strong-willed army captains will prove that opposites attract …
A by-the-book captain with a West Point background, Captain Evan Loehr refuses to mix business with pleasure—except for an unguarded instance years ago when he succumbed to the deep sensuality of redheaded beauty Claire Montoya. From that moment on, though, Evan has been at odds with her, through two deployments to Iraq and back again. But when he is asked to train a team prepping for combat alongside Claire, battle-worn Evan is in for the fight of his life.
Strong, gutsy, and loyal, Captain Claire Montoya has worked hard to earn the rank on her chest. In Evan, Claire sees a rigid officer who puts the rules before everything else—including his people. When the mission forces them together, Claire soon discovers that there is more to Evan than meets the eye.
He’s more than the rank on his chest; he’s a man with dark secrets and deep longings. For all their differences, Evan and Claire share two crucial passions: their country and each other.
You can order UNTIL THERE WAS YOU at these ebookstores or wherever ebooks are sold!
Jessica Scott is a career army officer, mother of two daughters, three cats, three dogs and two escape-artists hamsters, wife to a career NCO and wrangler of all things stuffed and fluffy. She has commanded two companies, served in Germany, Korea, Fort Hood and Iraq, and been lucky not to get fired. She is a terrible cook and an even worse housekeeper, but she’s a pretty good shot with her assigned weapon. Somehow, her children are pretty well adjusted and her husband still loves her, despite burned water and a messy house.
You can find her online at
Website: Facebook: Twitter: Goodreads
I’m giving away an ebook copy of UNTIL THERE WAS YOU today to one lucky winner!
To enter leave a comment on Jessica’s post.
Open to all. You have until end of day October 19 to enter, winner will be announced soon after.
Giveaway sponsored by: Jessica Scott
No purchase necessary to win. You must be 18 or over to enter, void where prohibited. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. FVBR is not being compensated for this giveaway. If the winner declines to accept or fails to claim their prize within 72 hours of the announcement, they forfeit their prize(s). Prize distribution is the sole responsibility of the giveaway sponsor. Fiction Vixen Book Reviews will not be held responsible for lost or misdirected prizes or for circumstances beyond our control. More information here.