I recently read A Little More Scandal by Carrie Lofty and enjoyed it very much. Starlight, the second book in Christies series was released on Tuesday and I have my copy waiting for me on my Kindle. We’ll have a review on the blog soon. We are pleased to once again welcome Ms. Lofty to Fiction Vixen.
Hoodies and Other Writing Essentials
By Carrie Lofty
I wrote STARLIGHT, the second in my Christies series of Victorian romances from Pocket, from December 2010 to January 2011, and revised it between January and February of this year. (Don’t ask. Publishing is weird.) The point I mean to make is that although I sit here in 95° heat, I wrote and revised this book in the depths of winter. In Wisconsin.
Thus I required a few essential items in order to give Alex and Polly a happy ending. Here’s my list of must-haves:
1. A hoodie. I own about eight. Because I primarily write from home when my family is at school and work, I try to reduce energy costs by keeping the thermostat as chilly as possible. Sometimes I went so far as to wear the hood. My favorite is one with a BGSU alumni logo. It’s ten years old, ugly as hell, and I never wear it out of the house, but it’s fantastically cozy.
2. Chocolate. Duh. I go for Lindt’s Touch of Sea Salt.
3. Decaf coffee with flavored half and half, or decaf PG Tips black tea with milk and sugar. I’m sort of the manic stressed-out type, so caffeine is not a good idea. With the former, I get a nice pseudo-coffee hit. With the latter, I channel the calming, happy vibes of my time in England. Because my husband is English, my house would collapse without a ready supply of tea.
4. A lap blanket. See #1. Because sometimes a hoody isn’t enough
5. A space heater. See #4. Because sometimes a hoody and a lap blanket aren’t enough.
6. A cat. Or two cats. Or three cats. One of them will always want to sit with a stationary human wearing a lap blanket and sitting next to a space heater.
7. Music. At this moment I’m listening to “Selling the Drama” by Live from my 1990s playlist. I don’t do anything writing related without music. So no matter how chilly I was when writing STARLIGHT, and no matter how warm it is today, the only real essential is my music collection.
What’s next for me:
After RT BookReviews 4½ Star Top Pick STARLIGHT hits the shelves, I’ll be looking forward to the release of HIS VERY OWN GIRL, a historical romance set in World War II. It’s not women’s fiction. It’s not literary fiction. It’s a genuine romance, complete with sexy times and a happy ending. Look for it September 4th as a Pocket Star digital original novel. I cannot wait to see how readers respond!
I’ll also be launching a new co-written pseudonym, Katie Porter, with my long-time friend and critique partner, Lorelie Brown. Our “Vegas Top Guns” series of contemporary erotic romances will launch from Samhain on July 31 with the release of DOUBLE DOWN, which is also a RT BookReviews 4½ Star Top Pick. Two more from the series, INSIDE BET and HOLD ‘EM, will follow in August and September. You can learn more about these and future books at our website.
I’d like to give away a copy of STARLIGHT, and I’ll ship anywhere. Just answer the question:
What essential gear to you require when reading (or writing) romance?
You have until end of day July 4 to enter, winner will be announced soon after.
Giveaway sponsored by: Carrie Lofty
No purchase necessary to win. You must be 18 or over to enter, void where prohibited. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. FVBR is not being compensated for this giveaway. If the winner declines to accept or fails to claim their prize within 72 hours of the announcement, a new winner will be randomly chosen. Prize distribution is the sole responsibility of the giveaway sponsor. Fiction Vixen Book Reviews will not be held responsible for lost or misdirected prizes or for circumstances beyond our control. More information here.
Thanks again to Fiction Vixen for having me!