I might get a little teary eyed as I write this review because this is the last Beyond Book. I can’t believe it. Who knew that way back in 2012 when Eden raised good girl Noelle came to Sector Four and fell in love with sexy cage fighting Jasper that the O’Kanes would become an addiction for me. So I ask you, what better way is there to say goodbye to this series than with a Top Ten?
Warning: This top ten will be more than just Nessa and Ryder because while this is their love story, I felt like the war, and the time spent with all the other characters kind of overshadowed them a bit. I’m not complaining in any way, shape or form, because I NEEDED to touch base with everyone. I needed to see them one last time before saying goodbye to the O’Kanes.
With that said… here goes.
10. This is Nessa’s HEA. Who I ask is more deserving of an HEA than Nessa?
She was going to die. Just fucking implode. Here lies Nessa, perished from sexual frustration-induced cardiac arrest.
9. This girl needs some relief and who better to give it to her than the sexy, badass Sector Five leader.
Ryder kissed her, it would be the best sex she ever had. Even if it just stopped at a kiss.
8. I adore Dallas. I will always adore Dallas.
Ryder leaned closer to Dallas. “Is there anything you can’t do?”
One side of Dallas’s mouth tilted up. “Plenty. That’s the point of a gang. No man can do everything, but all of us together? We can do anything.”
7. But let’s get back to Nessa and Ryder. Tonight might be the last night they have with each other and you better believe they make the most of it.
“I want it–” Her voice broke and she clutched at him. “Fuck, I want it all. I want more. Harder, please, just a little–”
He clenched her hair in his fist. “Wait for it Nessa. Trust me.”
6. Falling in love during the middle of a war is hard, y’all. Nessa and Ryder connect knowing everything might come to an end at any moment.
This would be a loss. He’d haunt her dreams. He’d fill her waking hours. She’d crave him and miss him when he was gone and spend her whole life–however much of it she had left–knowing nothing could ever be this good again.
But hope was a dangerous thing. It introduced fear into the equation, made you think about all the things you stood to lose if your day went south fast. So Ryder shoved it down, locked it away.
5. I love this imagery of Gideon’s Riders lining up, ready to tear down the walls of Eden.
The Riders. Forty-five in total, once Gideon and Mad joined them. They’d arrived on sleek, perfectly maintained motorcycles, all clad in black leather and carrying enough weapons to stock an arsenal. They stood easily, patiently, showing none of the fear of the Temple guards behind them.
Nearly four dozen men who weren’t afraid to die.
4. Dallas rallies the troops!
He flung an arm out, pointing toward the city. “We’re gonna tear down their fucking wall and end their fucking war.”
3. The end is a whirlwind of pain and death and close calls. But, there were all these sweet, loving, little moments that just got me.
I’m not even going to say who this is. JUST WAIT, OMG.
His hand shook as he reached for her face, and his fingers slipped on her tear-slicked cheeks. “Everything good I am, everything good I’ve ever done… It’s all you.”
2. The beauty of Sector Four in one sentence.
Whatever you needed, you could have. But you didn’t have to take everything on offer, either. That was the magic of the world Dallas had created for them– a place where you belonged even if you didn’t fit in, because the only qualifications for belonging were showing up, having each other’s backs, and caring.
2. I debated on how to end this Top Ten. I didn’t want to give away any spoilers, yet I wanted to end on a high note. Despite my anxiety over what was going to happen I do think this was the perfect finale to the series. So while I might have spent the last 20% white knuckling my Kindle in tension and worry, in the end I was left smiling and content.
O’Kane for life!
So she wrapped her arms around him and dreamed about happily ever after. For him. For her. For everyone.
Together, they’d make that dream come true.
I am more than ready for 2017 and what comes next. Ashwin and Kora are coming soon and I’m already a bit in love with Ashwin. Then Gideon’s Riders will be finding love and settling into lustful bliss. Seriously, I am ready. Bring. It. On.