It’s Sector Four time again! And what better way to celebrate returning to the Beyond series than a Top Ten. Also, I had to figure out how to fit all those highlighted quotes into one review. So many good quotes. So, so many.
In case you missed it, this is Scarlet, Jade, Doc and Mad’s book. Warning: This book is scorching hot and there are a few quotes that are definitely NSFW.
10. Meet Mad aka Adrian Maddox Rios. Originally from Sector One, he is the grandson of the Prophet, but is now an O’Kane.
It has always been easy before. Crashing together, falling apart. Watching his lovers move on to people who could give them everything.
Rachel had asked him about it once, back when Ace and Cruz had still been circling each other as much as her. “What would you do?”
“I always to the same thing. Love everyone who crosses my path. Love ’em as much as I can, for as long as they need.”
How clever. How blithe. What a goddamn hypocrite he was turning out to be.
9. Meet Doc aka Dylan. A brilliant doctor forced to do horrible things in Eden, he now numbs his memories and pain with drugs.
He used his knowledge to heal these days, but he could never escape its origins in torture. He felt himself slipping into those old habits now, letting his mind sink into the depths of violence, trying to understand.
8. Meet Scarlet, I think Scarlet is her real name. Scarlet grew up in Sector Three, but now she’s an O’Kane who occasionally rocks it at the Broken Circle.
That was Scarlet– open, not only about sex or love but the darker things, too. The rest of them would hide their faces, let their doubts beat them down, but Scarlet accepted people as they were… and moved on.
7. Meet Jade (I can’t disclose Jade’s real name because it plays a part in her opening up emotionally and placing her trust in her lovers). Jade is originally from Sector Two. If you are up to date in this series, then you will remember Jade as the drug-addicted prostitute/spy who was rescued by Lex. She is now clean and in a relationship with Scarlet. But she wants more.
Jade is forced to step up and take over Sector Two in Beyond Ruin. She kind of becomes a badass.
“I’m the leader of this sector,” she announced, letting her voice carry through the clear morning. “But I’m also an O’Kane. When I give an order, I expect it to be obeyed.”
6. Mad and Doc are already in a relationship, but both imagine what it would be like to welcome Jade and Scarlet into their bed. They imagine it while doing dirty things to each other. And it’s hot y’all.
Dylan licked him again, from base to tip, then stopped with his lips an inch away, so that Mad could feel his breath as he spoke. “I’ll give you what you want, but only if you tell me which one you’re thinking about.”
A snarl vibrated up out of Mad’s chest. “Fuck you, Dylan.”
Yes, fuck me. “Tell me, love.”
This time his groan was pure surrender. “Scarlet. I saw Scarlet tonight.”
5. The first time they all pile into bed together…
Scarlet rocked her hips, fucking Jade’s fingers, and yanked at Mad’s belt. His chest heaved and his muscles flexed under all that beautiful ink, and he turned to Dylan, his eyes blazing.
A different sort of invitation burned there. Stay, it whispered. Be one of us.
He reached out and cupped his hand around the back of Mad’s neck. “I’m not going anywhere.”
4. Love comes later, much later, because these four have to get their shit together. But when they do, it’s beautiful.
He came to them, sliding close to Jade’s back. With the bed as small as it was, he didn’t have to move far, but even closing that scant amount of distance was like laying in the last piece of a puzzle. Suddenly, there were no gaps, no spaces. Nothing left unfilled.
3. And another Dylan and Mad. I can NOT get enough of these two.
Mad was drunk on it, hazy and unsteady, when his lover– his lover— stiffened and froze. Dylan whispered something against his shoulder, but it only registered as heat and breath until he whispered it again. “Fucking beautiful.”
2. A sweet surprise from Ace, Cruz and Rachel. My heart did a little happy dance, man I love these three. I won’t give away what that surprise is, although you probably have already guessed, but here’s a little snippet just because I can’t have a review without Ace in it.
She wrapped her fingers around his wrists so tightly that her knuckles turned as white as her face. “Then we have to win.”
“We will, ” Ace replied firmly. His hands covered Rachel’s, stroking until her grip relaxed. “C’mon lover. You always knew we were never gonna leave you. You’re ruining Dallas’s big dramatic moment.”
Cruz’s sigh held a lifetime of affectionate irritation. “You’re impossible.”
“That’s why everyone loves me.” Ace took a step back, bringing Rachel with him, and Cruz followed. Of course he followed. Love bound them together as visibly as the ink around Rachel’s throat– their names twined together into a single work of art.
1. Everything just got crazy. Craaaazy. Eden is dropping bombs, sector leaders are planning a war, and I can’t even believe the direction this series is taking. Good stuff is coming. I’m excited and filled with anxiety at the same time. I absolutely do not want any of my favorite O’Kanes to get hurt. I won’t be able to take it. But on the other hand, I want the walls of Eden to come down.
“Alright, you crazy motherfuckers.” Dallas broke into a wide, feral grin. “Let’s tear down the walls of heaven and let a little sin in.”
This is easily one of the best books in the Beyond Series. You will not be disappointed. I promise.